Clothing is everyone’s main need. Apart from being a necessity, they can also be a luxury item. To have it, you need to spend a lot of money. The world’s most expensive clothing brand stands out from mass production lines thanks to its handmade designs, quality materials used, and celebrity connections. If you are interested in seeing how expensive the most expensive clothing brands in the world are, here are the 10 most expensive clothing brands in the world.
10. Dolce & Gabbana
The Italian brand was founded by Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana in 1985. Since then, they have expanded from women’s clothing to jewelry, perfumes, handbags, footwear, watches and sunglasses.
The most expensive Dolce & Gabbana items:
– Blood red beaded gown in limited edition 12, which was the most expensive item on Net-a-Porter at the time of sale: US$32,000
– Men’s double-breasted shearling coat: US$13,000
This famous Italian brand was founded by Guccio Gucci in 1920. The first store opened in 1921 in Florence. Now owned by Kering, Gucci was reinvented for the modern day by Creative Director Alessandro Michele. In addition to bags and shoes, Gucci now designs clothes and luggage.
Most expensive Gucci items:
– Stuart Hughes Gucci Belt: $250,000
– Stone crystal and 18K gold ear pendant auctioned by Christie’s in 2011: US$74,500
– Gucci gold sequin dress worn by Beyonce: $12,900
– I-Digital Grammy Special Edition Gucci Men Watch, worn by Kanye West: US$7,900
8. Ralph Lauren
Founded by American designer Ralph Lauren in 1967, this fashion label has several luxury lines. Ralph Lauren Purple Label is the most expensive line of men’s brands, while the Collection line is the most exclusive of their women’s range. The famous Polo Ralph Lauren line features sleek Ivy League-style clothing as well as popular fragrances and homewares.
The most expensive Ralph Lauren items:
– Purple Label Crocodile Duffel Bag: US$25,000 (approx. Rp. 355 million)
– Purple Label Gregory Handmade Tailcoat Tuxedo: US$ 9,995 (approximately Rp. 142 million)
7. Giorgio Armani
The Italian fashion house founded by Giorgio Armani in 1975 has grown to include Emporio Armani, Armani Collezioni, Armani Jeans, Armani Exchange and Armani Prive. While many of Armani’s lines are aimed at the mid-market, labels like Armani Prive sit firmly in the luxury segment.
The most expensive Giorgio Armani items:
– Armani Prive gown adorned with Swarovski crystals worn by Cate Blanchett at the 2007 Oscars: $250,000
– Diamond necklace by Armani Prive, auctioned by Christie’s in 2013: US$15,000
6. Yves Saint Laurent
This French fashion house is known for its beauty products as well as its chic androgynous tuxedo suits. This iconic brand was created by Yves Saint Laurent and his partner Pierre Bergé in 1961. Yves Saint Laurent also popularized the safari look as well as camouflage and trapeze dresses.
The most expensive Yves Saint Laurent items:
– Yves Saint Laurent Sunflower Jacket – limited edition 4, hand embroidered as a tribute to Van Gogh: US$382,000. (approximately IDR 5 billion)
– Yves Saint Laurent Opium Perfume: US$175 per ounce
Founded by Mario Prada in Milan in 1913, this Italian fashion house is now run by his youngest granddaughter, Miuccia Prada. The brand is known for its unique aesthetic. Moreover, this forward-thinking company is famous for its leather bags.
Most expensive Prada items:
– Brandy Top Handle V2 ostrich leather handbag – US$10,200 (approximately Rp144 million)
The French brand created by Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel in 1909 is famous for its wool boucle suits, elegant perfumes and quilted leather bags. The designs have a timeless quality that is still in fashion today.
Most expensive Chanel items:
– Limited edition Chanel Diamond bag adorned with 334 diamonds and with an 18 ct gold carrying chain: estimated price US$261,000. (approximately IDR 3 billion)
– Two rare Coco Chanel and Fulco di Verdura gold gem and brooch sets sold at Christie’s New York in 2004: US$192,300
– Chanel fishing gear: US$18,000 (approx. Rp. 255 million)
Versace is one of the most expensive brands in the world. Founded in 1978 by Gianni Versace, this Italian designer brand creates clothing from innovative fabrics such as metal mesh. Gianni Versace has been worn by Elizabeth Taylor, Jennifer Lopez and Princess Diana. After the tragic murder of the founder, Gianni’s sister, Donatella Versace, became Creative Director of the brand.
The most expensive Versace items:
– Elizabeth Taylor’s Versace beaded “The Face” evening jacket, embroidered with a rhinestone portrait of the star in her most iconic role, sold at Christie’s in 2011: $128,500
– Greca One-Shoulder Mini Dress: US$4,495
2. Christian Dior
Christian Dior has been going strong since 1946 and is one of the most famous French luxury brands in the world. This fashion house is popular with celebrities such as Charlize Theron and Natalie Portman. In addition to women’s clothing and accessories, there is Dior Homme for men and Baby Dior for children. The Dior Beauty brand of cosmetics is also very successful.
The most expensive Christian Dior items:
– Dior Haute Couture chart dress Nicole Kidman wore to the 1997 Oscars, designed by John Galliano: $2 million
– 1968 silver-studded brocade evening gown with matching bag belonging to Elizabeth Taylor, sold at Christie’s in 2011: $362,500
– White peplum gown worn by Charlize Theron at the 2013 Oscars ceremony: US$100,000 (approximately Rp. 1 billion)
1. Louis Vuitton
This famous French brand was founded by Louis Vuitton in 1854. The company is now owned by Bernard Arnault, the richest man in the world. Louis Vuitton is popular with celebrities like Angelina Jolie and Sarah Jessica Parker. Creative Director Nicolas Ghesquière has managed to revitalize a historic brand without sacrificing elegance.
The most expensive Louis Vuitton items:
– Steiff Louis Vuitton Teddy Bear: US$2.1 million
– Louis Vuitton Urban Satchel – decorated with recycled water bottle and gum pack: US$150,000. (approximately IDR 2 billion)
– Kusama Pumpkin Minaudiere Gem Bag – a collaboration between Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama and Louis Vuitton: US$133,430 (approximately IDR 1 billion)
– Louis Vuitton Pur Oud 100 ml – limited edition 2000 bottle perfume containing natural oud essence: US$1470 (approximately Rp. 20 million)